Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday Safari - Chamizal NP

Greetings from the hermit-writer.

I visited the Chamizal National Park today, which commemorates the resolution of a 100-year border dispute with Mexico. I remember vaguely as a kid, President Kennedy coming to El Paso to celebrate the treaty. I guess it was a big deal at the time.

All in all…not a special looking park. But I can always find something to take a picture of, you know…a tree, cloud, tumbling litter…well, maybe not the latter. But hope you like the textures I captured.



If you aren't familiar with the century plant, I think they are pretty special.

Thought the panorama of bare limbs, blue sky and clouds pretty cool...but I'm easy to amuse.

The Chamizal amphitheater 

I like murals

I like murals

(Did I mention, I like murals?)

The international bridge, right there on the edge of the park. I could have thrown a rock and hit it...well...maybe twenty years ago (today I could 'throw' a rock, but it'd only go ten feet.

Find a lot of rock accenting gardens in the South West...since it's hard to get anything but scorpions to grow here.

Typical color choice around these parts.

Nice textures, angles...

The always looming Franklin

An old border marker

Another shot of the international bridge

You can see this sculpture from twenty miles away...part of what provoked me to visit Chamizal.

(I take pictures of trees and mountains, and blue sky with clouds (or no clouds) in them.)

God does some things right, don't you think? Ah the beauty of trees...the sky.

Nice tree (aren't they all). Thirty percent chance of rain. I think that happens here twice every decade (maybe three times).

(I like trees)

The dormant bloom of a century plant. Didn't I say they are special?

Looks cool against the sky, doesn't it?



Have a great week.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. I love tress and mountains against the sky too. When my husband and I visited Nevada, that was what most of our pictures focused on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I love your pictures. Funny, I love trees, especially gnarled and wind-twisted branches, against a sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures! Love that mountain range...and the murals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures! Love that mountain range...and the murals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amuse, and delight me every time I wander along these Sunday outings! I too am a fan of murals, and mountains, and tress, and big white fluffy clouds (lots of them) and of course the animals, yes dogs on top of the list. But even when your photos lack them, you still seem to capture other favorite moments in this short thing called ....life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You amuse, and delight me every time I wander along these Sunday outings! I too am a fan of murals, and mountains, and tress, and big white fluffy clouds (lots of them) and of course the animals, yes dogs on top of the list. But even when your photos lack them, you still seem to capture other favorite moments in this short thing called ....life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool photos, as usual! I'd never heard of a century plant. I agree about the coolness of bare limbs, blue sky, and clouds--awesome. LOL on nothing growing except scorpions. ;o)

    ReplyDelete